iInTIME Learning System
The Institute for Innovative Technology In Medical Education (iInTIME) has developed a proven system for virtual patient case development, integration, and distribution - the iInTIME Learning System (ILS). Virtual patient cases developed with the ILS model provide medical students and clerkship directors access to peer-reviewed learning materials providing a solid foundation in medical knowledge appropriate to the level of the third-year student. The ILS model incorporates the methods created by Drs. Norm Berman and Leslie Fall, founders of iInTIME.
The value of the cases to both clerkship directors and students lies in the balance between the quality of the content and of the pedagogy.
During the development of iInTIME Virtual Patient Cases, medical educators collaborate to build effective cases:
- Cases are based on a nationally accepted curriculum, using the ILS Case Blueprint and individual Case Outlines.
- Development teams are composed of and led by medical educators across institutions.
- Authors are trained in the ILS at your national meetings and supported through the development process.
- Cases are peer-reviewed by your colleagues with the process administered by iInTIME.
- The iInTIME Learning System utilizes CASUS software, an authoring software that promotes the ILS Style, providing a uniform look and feel to iInTIME's virtual patient cases across disciplines.
Clerkship directors value the standardized and comprehensive delivery of nationally-accepted curricula to students in an efficient and effective case-based format. Students value learning methods that are well designed, uniform, interactive, realistic and engaging. iInTIME's Learning System emphasizes a research based pedagogical approach with the following features:
- iInTIME virtual patients are focused on teaching and create a learning environment where students can explore, make mistakes, and ultimately learn.
- Incorporate effective use of interactivity and provide rich feedback with thorough explanation of correct and incorrect responses.
- Linear case structure provides efficient case-based learning with an emphasis on meeting core objectives.
- Expert comments provide additional in-depth information where applicable.
- Polling and peer-response questions allow for student-to-student comparison and learning support.
- Unique Diagnostic Network teaches clinical reasoning.
- Multimedia content brings the case alive for students and teaches them about valuable online resources.
Thoughtful integration of the cases into the curriculum allows educators to effectively address the Liaison Council for Medical Education (LCME) accreditation standards requiring all medical schools to provide and document a consistent education for all medical students regardless of training site or time of year.
To assist clerkship directors in integrating our teaching tools, we have developed a password-protected Instructor’s Area which includes:
- Log data documenting case completion by students
- Case descriptions featuring case goals and objectives and key teaching points
- Supplemental teaching material
- Integration workshops at national meetings
- Exam item bank and exam scoring
In addition to the iterative and collaborative development process, and external peer-review, iInTIME diligently attends to the maintenance of cases to ensure best practices and up-to-date curricular content. iInTIME employs the following approach to making timely and thoughtful changes to existing cases:
- InTIME maintains nationally representative Editorial Boards made up of seasoned educators and practitioners
- Continued collaboration and national meeting involvement encourages sharing of the most current trends and practices
- A focus on research - our own as well as others' - allows us to select the most effective and efficient online pedagogies
- Online delivery allows for timely and seamless implementation of necessary edits
Infrastructure and Support
Quality of content and pedagogy goes a long way, but requires a significant infrastructure. iInTIME's support provides trust in the availability of the cases as well as accessibility and reliability of their delivery. Finally, iInTIME recognizes that integrity and credibility play a large role in trust and actively seek to adhere to the highest professional standards.
Availability: Distribution through the development and maintenance of MedU
- iInTIME Staff to upload case and website content
- iInTIME Staff to oversee content maintenance of all case related materials
- iInTIME products are available by institutional or individual subscription
Reliability/accessibility: Extensive quality assurance measures:
- Student sessions are stored for later completion or review
- Back-up procedures
- User support
Promoting trust through professionalism
- Non-profit status
- Acceptable use guidelines
- Research-based methodology
- Feedback loop, pilot testing
- Limit affiliations with commercial organizations (i.e. media links, etc.)